Friday, March 9, 2007

Sweet Fiery Sunburns

Wow, Morgan and I are sunburned for the second time...us Canadians can't handle it down here.

This morning we took surf lessons with the Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy. Our instructor was Jean from Brazil. They guarentee you'll get up and we both did indeed stand on the surf board. It was pretty sweet except when you fell and landed on stabbity rocks in about 1 foot of water. Seriously, the place they teach you is a disaster waiting to happen.

It has lead to my theory that the ocean is all about stabbing. Urchins, rocks, barnacles, coral, porcupine fish, sting rays, sharks...*stabbity stabbity*

Anyway we had fun and it was cool to actually understand how to surf. If we can find a beach that doesn't have sharp pointy rocks then we might just rent a board later in the trip.

I just realised at surf school this morning that I've actually been "rocking out" instead of "hanging loose" with my hand signals so there's a picture of me correcting this in front of the surf school. You can also see the sweet Maui Gear rashguard I bought in Kihei (I'm sure I'll get tons of use out of it..ha) - I'm also wearing new board shorts by Maui Lai but you can't see those.

There are also pictures of the humpbacks which were putting on quite the show for us last night in front of the resort. We think the whale closest to us was actually a mom and baby - the baby kept leaping out of the water, it looked like a dolphin. Maybe it was actually an interspecies friendship between a whale and a dolphin? Either way, it was pretty amazing...


Whale fin action!


Another whale!


Morgan testing out his rashguard.


Hanging loose outside of the surf school.


A picture from a couple of hours ago. Of course it was cloudy when we did our surf lesson but immediately cleared up when we got back to the resort.


A picture of a cleaner wrasse cleaning up some fishies in Kapalua Bay (2 days ago).


Urchin in Kapalua.


Snowflake Moray (Eel) - from Kapalua


A Moorish Idol in Kapalua Bay.


A rare shot of the "faster-than-a-speeding-bullet" gecko that likes to hang out at the light outside our door. He only comes out at night.


The back part of one of those amazing flowers that are everywhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Morgan and Michelle ,
By far greatest blog I have ever seen!! Am forwarding to New York Times as I type this!! Your blog has everything...Cool Fish... Cool Porcuspiscis....Tasteful Honeymoon pictures(oh well)...stabitty rock information and more whale breachings than a Melville story!!
My favorite when Barb and I were there was the scooter dive! You guys might also consider a night dive. Barb and I saw a cuttle fish in the flashlight and of course awesome phosphorescence all around us !!
Have agreat time. By the way, I found your blog randomly, by accident and excitedly called Barb, but she already knew about it. By the by the way, I caught someone named "code monkey" who was erasing all the comments to your blog.
See you guys over Easter. All the Best Honeymooners. Don.

wombat said...

You guys are missing some really great rain over here. It's wet AND cold! I bet you're sorry you're not here. Also I hear whales sometimes attack surfers and eat them, crunching them to death with their razor sharp, foot-long fangs, then regurgitating the pulpy remains to feed their wailing, bloodthirsty calves. Don't forget to wear sunscreen when you're out there!

Anonymous said...

Hey Don!

Great you stumbled upon the blog... we actually have you to thank for the surf lessons (it was your christmas present in action)!

We're doing the manta dive on Tuesday morning, we can hardly wait!

Blake - soooo....pick us up at the airport? eh? eh?

-Morgan